Creates character, set and prop models that support art and story concepts. May focus on developing technical drawings for model production. Utilizes modeling software to prepare and build character models. Writes, maintains and runs scripts and model databases. Able to develop character models for multiple types of productions from simple to moderately difficult. Accountable for meeting productivity and quota targets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- High to Master level of competency with poly modeling and Zbrush
- Able to build maquettes in pose using Zbrush or other software for hero characters
- Able to polypaint or use basic textures and UVs on maquettes
- Moderate level of competency lighting and rendering maquettes for show
- Able to foresee problems with designs, identify 2d cheats, and tailor models to the design intent rather than matching it verbatim to the page
- Available as a mentor for apprentices
- Able to consistently hit deadlines under the time allotted
- Able to generate high quality assets with no direct supervision
- Available as a point person to interact with other departments on modeling’s behalf
- Able to train other modelers in various disciplines
- Able to step in as a temporary lead if necessary
- Must have a good understanding of the overall studio pipeline
- Able to make accurate bids on assets to your supervisor
- Able to document processes in Pages
- Minimum 2 years production experience
Education and Experience Requirements
- Knowledge of one or more high-end 3D software packages such as 3DS Max, Maya.
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop.
- Good knowledge of polygonal and patch geometry modeling.
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the studio.